Thursday, February 4, 2010

Chicken and Dumplings

OK...so, I thought Alex would hang out with Holly on Sunday.....but, about 11 am I get this text from him asking about dinner! So, I sat in Sacrament Meeting thinking about how little food I have at home and wondering what on earth I can come up with! When I got home, I looked in the frig and freezer and the pantry.....pretty blank!! I turned to my recipe books, knowing what I had on hand...and this is what I came up with. It is a new recipe, but, the gravy is what makes this mouth watering!!! We were both so hungry, that we devoured it! Total comfort food!!

Chicken and Dumplings

1 cup flour
3 tsp paprika- divided
2 tsp salt
5 lbs chicken pieces
1/4 cup butter
3 T. celery flakes
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
DUMPLINGS
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
GRAVY (best part)
2 T. cornstarch
2 T. water
1 cup sour cream
2 T. parsley

Combine flour, 2 tsp. paprika and salt; dredge chicken. Brown in a large skillet in butter. Remove and set aside.
In the same pan, saute onions and celery flakes until tender. Add broth, chicken and the rest of the paprika. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until juices from chicken run clear. Remove chicken to a serving platter. Keep warm.
For dumplings, combine all ingredients. Drop dough, 2 T at a time, into simmering broth. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove dumplings and keep warm.
For gravy, combine cornstarch and water; stir into broth stirring constantly until thickened. Remove ffrom heat and add sourcream and parsley. Serve with chicken and dumplings. YIELD: 6 servings.
I served this with Strawberry Green Salad and Baby Carrots. ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment