Tuesday, December 29, 2009

French Bread

I got this recipe for French Bread from the Martha Stewart show about 15 years ago. She actually had on the show a French Chef who ran a cooking school in France. This was her recipe. I tried it and fell in love with it. I have been using this simple recipe since then. (I have tried to find the segment of the show...but couldn't) It only makes one loaf....but that one loaf is amazing!!! (I tried doubling the recipe, but it doesn't quite turn out the same.)Here is the recipe:
FRENCH BREAD
1 1/3 cups warm water
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. yeast (yes it is only 1 tsp. NOT Tablsp.)
Mix togetherand let set till bubbly....about 5 min. I always let it sit on top of a warm oven...just to help it out a little! This is called "proofing" the yeast.
Then add...
2 T. olive oil or canola oil (I always use Olive oil)
1 tsp. salt
4 cups of flour (I only put in 3 cups....then add the fourth as I knead the dough in the bowl)
Knead in bowl for 5 minutes.
Cover and let rise till double...about 1 1/2 hours
Punch down dough and turn onto a floured surface. Knead for about 6-8 minutes.

Put in bread pan sprayed with Pam. Let rise until desired height...about an hour?




Ready to put in preheated oven @ 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Do not over cook!





Take out of pan and let cool. Enjoy!!
As you can see...it is light in color. It is a crusty bread and melts in your mouth! Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment